weapons/armor breaking

Discussion in 'EQN Wishlist' started by Jason, Jul 12, 2013.

?

Would you like to see this in EQN?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Partially

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. No

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Don't Care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jason

Jason Member

was reading another thread on weapons/armor got me thinking... economy gets saturated with goods over the life of a game/server... what if....

Armor/Weapons deteriorate with use and neglect. You can repair all you want but if you don't use, you lose... after 20 days of not logging in any weapon not either used or repaired turns into scrap...

just thinkin... might be good but might be too extreme. Maybe epic pieces have magic that hold it together indefinitely.
  2. Murzerker

Murzerker Moderator Staff Member

Most people I know hate decay, but I love it. I like item decay, especially if the economy is going to truly be player based. Stuff gets old, and breaks; however, nothing should age or disappear just because you don't log in. You aren't in the game. No game should ever require a person to log in; this is one of the reason I hate dailies, they make a game feel like a job.

TL : DR : Item decay due to use yes. Item decay due to not logging in no.
    Homeslice likes this.
  3. Pigglesworth

Pigglesworth Active Member

I have no problem with decay. Broken from use and neglect is all good and dandy. But do not punish my poor, never played ranger just because I spend all my time on my real toons.

I don't mind decay/breaking, but I need way to fix it and not lose it.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    Jason likes this.
  4. Moszis

Moszis Administrator Staff Member SOE Attendee

Ogre
    I tend to be for anything that makes the game harder.. but I just cant get into whole item decay. It seems to me that if items decayed and disappeared, then getting those items would have to be made much easier. I dont want it to be easy to get items. Just think, if it took 6 months to get an epic weapon but it broke after 2 months of use.. no one would ever try to get it.

A lot of things I want in EQ Next has to do with getting you emotionally attached to your gear. Deep lore, hard and long time to get, visual recognition, etc.. If items decayed and broke, it would be bad.. me thinks :(
    RMRenfield and Jason like this.
  5. Homeslice

Homeslice Well-Known Member

Dude
    Seconded!
  6. RMRenfield

RMRenfield Moderator Staff Member

This.

Item decay is annoying and not really that realistic. Maybe if its vendor trash weapons but how much sense does it make for your legendary sword that you won off a raid boss to decay and break just because you're not logging in and using it? It takes a long time for that kind of decay to happen. Difficulty is good when it comes in the form of consequences that make the experience more exciting and rewarding. It's not good when all it brings is unnecessary tedium.
    Moszis likes this.