SOE Live attendees and Beta

Discussion in 'Pre-Release Chatter' started by Yamamushi, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Yamamushi

Yamamushi Member SOE Attendee

Hacker
    I have a question that I haven't been able to find a definitive yes or no answer to, and I doubt one exists at this point but I figured I'd ask anyways.

In years past, SOE Live attendees have been given Beta preference for new game releases. I know that before I attended SOE Live that I never received beta invites for SOE games, but now I get them all the time.

We've also heard that SOE Live attendees are going to get their hands on EQ Next, so I'm wondering if SOE is going to be giving out Beta access or at least Beta preference to those who attend SOE Live this year.

Thoughts?
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  2. Kolamer

Kolamer Moderator Staff Member

HR Systems
    I am going to say that would not surprise me seeing as how this is how they have done it in the past.
    Feldon likes this.
  3. AgentGenX

AgentGenX Well-Known Member

Media:
    Sleazy Lizard
    Yeah, I expect that everyone in attendance will be getting keys, especially since things are going to be moving in light speed once the black box is lifted; time to promote, test, and get the final version out before competitors can react.
  4. Adriann

Adriann Active Member

IT Helpdesk
    yeah im going to have to agree with you guys.i believe that this is how it will be, I don't have the time or money to attend unfortuneately but im hoping to watch the live coverage thingy I saw somewhere that day.
  5. Iadien

Iadien Member

I would say there's a great chance that SOE attendees receive beta access for EQN, and I hate all of you that are going for that reason alone. =p
    Robb, AgentGenX and Yamamushi like this.
  6. Garmr

Garmr Well-Known Member

SA
    Agree wholeheartedly! Why couldn't they hold it in Philly?! Always Vegas.....always Vegas haha
  7. Alaster

Alaster Member SOE Attendee

Yeah, I'd say the chances are extremely high of SOE Live attendees receiving beta access for EQN. Just like GenX said, once they do the reveal, it's going to be hyper-speed through testing and final modifications if they're going to live up to what Smed said about releasing by the end of the year.

And in regard to SOE Live locations... they used to alternate Fanfaire spots between Vegas and somewhere else (I know a couple prior locations were Atlanta and Boston), but I would think they probably discovered Vegas got the best turnout overall.
  8. Sigrah

Sigrah Well-Known Member

X-Ray Tech
    I hope they have it pretty much hammered out at this point if they're planning to release it by year's end. I'm sure they want to get it out in time for the holidays, but I hope they're not going to rush it out if it's still got a ton of major bugs or isn't finished enough at that point. I'm sure SOE knows by now that hard core gamers are more than capable of reaching the end game at terrifyingly inhuman rates, especially if something was missed or not anticipated by the developers.
  9. Yamamushi

Hacker
    Something tells me we're not going to see an EQN with a traditional "endgame", so I think we'll be safe :)
  10. Wiegraf

Wiegraf Well-Known Member

I'm sure there will be raiding, hopefully more than just raiding, but raiding isn't going anywhere especially with EQ. It's what has kept EQ alive expansion after expansion.
  11. Rafkin

Rafkin Member

Well it's too late now but if you were really desperate you could have registered for $169 dollars and got whatever bonuses they were giving out. Including beta codes.
  12. Yamamushi

Hacker
    You can register on-site :)
  13. Rafkin

Rafkin Member

Well my point was that people who can't travel to Vegas could still have gotten all the digital goodies.
  14. Yamamushi

Hacker
    Ah, but it would be hard to justify that much money just in the hopes that you'll get a beta key. I know that when I attended, they had the keys on physical cards. I have no doubt you'll see some show up on eBay :-(
  15. RekMMO

RekMMO Member SOE Attendee

Media:
    Customer Service Representative
    I expect we'll get beta access. But even though Smed said we'd get our hands on it at this SOE Live, I get the feeling it's not gonna happen. Wouldn't we already know? I'd imagine it would have been a decent way to sell tickets.
  16. Alaster

Alaster Member SOE Attendee

That's probably true, but they probably thought it too important to stay "shut in the black box" about everything (as they've been doing all along). I would think they figure they'll let in as many people as they need eventually, anyways; whereas SOE Live attendees would just be "guaranteed." But who knows, may be we wont get it and we're all just assuming too much! It just seems easily inferred, though; so I'll stay hopeful!
  17. roasty

roasty New Member

man wish it was eastcoast philly or AC :(
  18. Sutlin

Sutlin Active Member

It's not assuming if Smed's last statement said that people would get their hands on the game at SOE Live, and not a beta version. He hasn't said anything since then to make us think otherwise.

If, for whatever reason, it's not playable by SOE Live... you're going to have a lot of disappointed fans who are going to SOE Live just for EQN. I'd assume beta gets launched very shortly after SOE Live regardless. Afterall, they used EQN and its reveal as the "main event" to advertise SOE Live. EQN is following a very similar path that PS2 did as far as timeline (minus the black box attitude).
  19. Palofox

Palofox New Member

My gut feeling based on SOE comments, and especially the one from Smed that stated we will have a playable non-beta version of the game available before the end of the year, is that the game is very near being complete and has already undergone alpha testing. My gut also tells me they will unveil at SOE Live that beta testing will begin shortly and that attendees will be given access. That gives us about four months of a beta test and a Christmas release. It would be brilliant.

Of course, my gut has been wrong before. Especially if I've had too much chili.
    RekMMO, Moszis and Murzerker like this.
  20. Moszis

Moszis Administrator Staff Member SOE Attendee

Ogre
    I'm so hopefully that you guys are right.. IF there is beta coming up then yes we will get beta access at SOE Live, I just don't want to get my hopes up.

"Getting our hands on something by year end, that is not beta" may mean something different than a game. Could be some kind of character creation toolkit like EQ2 or some kind of studio that allows us to create designs for houses, items, etc..
    WarKnight likes this.