Iksar

Discussion in 'Pre-Release Chatter' started by Nayukhuut, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Nayukhuut

Nayukhuut Member

I've seen the joke thread, and that's great in its own right, but has anyone heard any confirmation of Iksar as a player race? I know they're in game, they've been mentioned in the lore, but I haven't heard about whether they're playable or what they look like. I thought someone else might know more. Worth a shot right?
  2. AgentGenX

AgentGenX Well-Known Member

Media:
    Sleazy Lizard
    I wish I had an answer for you, but Iksar has not been confirmed as a playable race - no one knows yet :(
  3. Bigbeef

Bigbeef Well-Known Member

Game Designer
    It hasn't been confirmed, but they showed concept art for an Iksar city.It wouldn't make much sense to draw up concept art for a race that's not going to make it into the game.Given how iconic iksar are for EQ, and how much of a fan following they have, and the concept art picture that clearly said "Iksar", I would give it a 99% chance that they're going to be in the game as a playable race.Ratongas on the other hand, look to not have been worked on much yet (as they had a pole asking if they should be in game or not). That should make Ratonga fans worried, but the pole results were good in their favor, so they got a decent chance yet.
    AgentGenX and Cirolle like this.
  4. ThreeBeastSmile

ThreeBeastSmile Well-Known Member

Freelance Creative Photographer
    Parts Unknown... aka the Highlands of Scotland
    Nope... I'm an even worse a position because my choice of race right now is very open. I just know I'll be playing a beast race but I hate not being able to get onto familiarizing with my intended virtual self at this stage. They hinted of kobolds through the poster art and I reacted rather ecstatically; but then in the actual presentation I only heard mention of them as enemies... so that dampened my zeal quite a tad. Then there are the races on my 'thing I'm hopeful about' list; such as gnolls or at least a canine race and such.

I require the full list damn it; to put my mind to rest.

Side note: I wonder if the femmes of the iksar race will look something alike to the ones seen in EQ2. I really liked that look; and hence why despite not being an alt' person I kept my iksar coercer up to speed (I later switched to a sarnak inquisitor and mained that) just because she looked awesome.
  5. Murzerker

Murzerker Moderator Staff Member

This is purely speculation, so take with a grain of salt.

Lore mentioned that the Iksar were divided between those who followed Venril Sathir, who attempted to enslave the Combine, and those who felt compassion towards the Combine. So far the game has a very, "lets all be friends and work together against the world" vibe, (which if I may say, SUCKs), and I think we might only be able to play a race that is part of the Combine. If so, I would imagine that the "good" Iksar would be playable, and would start in the, (so far only announced), planned starting town of Qeynos, while the evil Iksar would be an NPC race on Kunark.

I am hoping that some of us will be able to play a non good guy role, but with Ogres being good, and some basically good Iksar, and possibly good Dark Elves, I am a bit worried about whether Trolls will even be playable. (I use the word "good" loosely here, but basically members of the combine.)
    Castegyre likes this.
  6. Garmr

Garmr Well-Known Member

SA
    Really, really hope you're wrong Murz.
  7. Castegyre

Castegyre Well-Known Member

I think we'll see them in later content. Maybe some came over from Kunark, but the devs have to save something to throw at us later. Why not Iksar (again)?

Also, I don't like the thought of initial EQ2 happening all over again where all the races are crammed into squalid hovels and little townships around the actual city almost like second class citizens or afterthoughts. I'd like for some of them to have their own flavor and, preferably, their own home city when they get introduced.
  8. padder

padder Member

I've been sort of getting the everyone is good vibe as well. Hopefully we can head toward being evil
  9. Murzerker

Me too!
  10. Murzerker

Crazy thought brain punches you for 1000 damage.

What if they release Antonica and Kunark, and the "good" combine begins on Antonica, and all the "evils" start on Kunark? Troll lore has always hinted at Kunark being the Trolls original home. Cazic Thule made the Shissar, the Iksar, and the Trolls...

Okay, time to wake up, I'm delusional.
    AgentGenX, Haradrel and Dvergagal like this.
  11. Danubus

Danubus Active Member

Pathfinder
    I hope they add Iksar because I would love to play one again. I had a monk and Necro in EQ1. As for the faction thing, it does kinda suck if any race can be friends with anyone, but I guess they are trying to allow friends to play with each other a lot easier.
  12. Bigbeef

Bigbeef Well-Known Member

Game Designer
    I didn't get that at all from SOE live. They clearly mention multiple times that players will choose their own character's paths, good or evil. If you want to play an Evil ogre or an Evil Iksar, the choices will be there, without a doubt.

As for how they start the game or where they start is another story, but as far as good and evil goes, they made it pretty clear that all players will be able to play their character how they want and both alignments will be fully supported.
    Dvergagal likes this.
  13. Sigrah

Sigrah Well-Known Member

X-Ray Tech
    I hope they add the traditional dark deities again. Maybe add evil temples buried somewhere along with books, hieroglyphs, and other historical pieces that tell tales of the dark gods, their exploits, and the powers they bestowed to their faithful followers. They could even make it an opportunity where you can choose to take this new found information to the evil factions and raise your standing with them, destroy them and raise your standing with the good ones, or do nothing at all with it. This could lead to future opportunities later where the evil factions wants to build a temple based on the knowledge you've found while the good factions want you to stop it at all costs :)
    ThreeBeastSmile likes this.
  14. Dvergagal

Dvergagal Member

Graphic Designer
    I do hope the iksar (and ratonga, and trolls) make it into the game. They're such iconic player races that I'd really miss them if they got left out.

On the subject of good / evil races an gods I agree with the idea that they're going for more of a 'shades of gray' morality system rather than pure good or pure evil. Personally I like that much better than forcing entire races and gods into one stereotype. It makes for better storytelling.

At the same time I hope to see some dastardly evil characters of all backgrounds. Hopefully there won't be anything to stop folks from giving their characters a darker (or lighter) view of dogma or societies.

I am hoping not to have hard factions like so many other games. I at least want the chance to switch sides, or better yet have factions be opt-in instead of the default. I like having the chance to work and fight beside anyone I want.
  15. Garmr

Garmr Well-Known Member

SA
    Great as long as they don't turn it into a 2 major faction PvP world with Odus or wherever being the "battlegrounds"

/shudder
  16. Cirolle

Cirolle Active Member

I do believe the Iksar will be a playable race.
    Like someone said above, concept art for Iksar cities, when we KNOW that we are not going to start playing on Kunark.

Story starts with the combine having just rebuild Qeynos. Its a rickity kind of city, with all the races crammed in there to start with.

This is pure speculation, but from the event with rebuilding Halas and the hints that we will be rebuilding other towns in the land, I have a feeling, that the game will open up with these events.
    If Halas is rebuild, the barbarian will obviosly want to move there and get in contact with their roots (or some)
    I think we eventually will be able to create character that start in these new cities.
    I believe that the whole story of EQN will form in a different way than simple expacks.
    With how they are setting the world up, there is NO reason that they can't let you work on becoming on good terms with Halas (example) and what if Halas decides to break free from Qeynos etc etc. Choose your sides, they will be many.
    Homeslice likes this.
  17. Cirolle

Cirolle Active Member

Just keep in mind, that this is a reboot of EQ.
    While there are many things similar, there are also both new and changed lore in EQN.
  18. Kolamer

Kolamer Moderator Staff Member

HR Systems
    Did they ever say that the ogres and dark elves were good? I just remember them saying the the ogres are smarter and more militaristic.
  19. Kolamer

Kolamer Moderator Staff Member

HR Systems
    Keep in mind that we aren't rebuilding these cities, we are building them for the first time. The Barbarians won't be getting in contact with their roots because their roots would have been the Combine and Qeynos.
  20. Cirolle

Cirolle Active Member

Ah that makes sense, we are starting EQ really.
    However, there was a time before the Combine, before the elves met the rest of the races too.
    Surely, people must have lived somewhere right?
    And even doing the time of exploration and the Combine, I do not think everyone just moved to elven cities and lived.
    But there will be more detailed info in time I am sure.